Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ned Vizzini Beginning of book response



Are there groups you belong to in this text? What do they look like here? If your own groups are missing, what would they say if they were in the book?

            I just started reading the auto biography by Ned Vizzini, and at one point in the story, he writes about all the different groups there are at his school. For example, there are the geeks, the drug addicts, the preppies and all sorts of funny groups. I think then one group that I belong to in his classification would be preppie. Ned Vizzini says that preppies wore okay clothes, didn't smell bad, all recognized each other from the first day of school and always seemed to be doing something. I admit, when I came to this school from Europe, I didn't recognize anyone at all for obvious reasons. But every time I join a club, or go to a camp, there are always a bunch of people I know, and we just hang out. We are always playing basketball or chatting-we always have something to do. But in the book, preppies seem kind of anti-social with people they don’t know. They also seem really posh, not really my style.                                                                                                             
If preppies weren't included in the book, I definitely think it wouldn't really change anything because the characteristics they have are definitely included in other types of groups.  For example, geeks always hang together and never socialize with other people like the preppies.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment